In your pivotal, rewarding role as Hearing/Speech Technician, you will perform newborn hearing screenings and support patient care with occasional guidance. You also will maintain and prepare supplies and equipment, materials and/or information development.
Hours of Operation
It is the understanding of all VBWC staff (professional and support) that appropriate patient care will be provided to any patient in need of service at the time of the request. The official hours (i.e. advertised/promoted hours of operation) of the part time - weekend Hearing Screening Technician will be Saturdays and Sundays from 7am to 2:30pm with a 30-minute lunch break. There may be opportunity to pick up additional shifts during the week when other Hearing Screening team members are unavailable, but please note that the Newborn Nursery weekend shifts are the primary responsibility for this position.
Alternative Coverage Unplanned absence coverage : During unplanned absences, coverage will be based on the availability of other Hearing Screening Technicians, student hearing screening employees, or (last resort) professional staff. The employee assigned to the NICU shift may be asked to screen in Newborn Nursery if another team member is unavailable to fill the shift.
Pediatric hearing services at Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center offers comprehensive testing, treatment and support services for children with hearing loss and their families. Our goal is to maximize every child's hearing potential so that he or she can communicate independently and effectively. For additional information, please visit https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/28290 .
Click here to view how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
* Provides basic hearing screening services (prepare infant for hearing screening, performs hearing screening and communicates results to family)
* Documents hearing screening results (EMR, state lab)
* Communicates hearing screen results to medical staff
* Troubleshoots hearing screening equipment and communicates issues to supervisor
* Maintains supplies at acceptable levels
* Provides support to audiologists through collection of data, assisting with researching topics, or other patient care support services
* The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
TECHNICAL CAPABILITIES: EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE: Has limited experience, training, direct exposure, or past experience conducting maintenance activities in area of assignments.
REHAB PTA/COTA PATIENT DOCUMENTATION: Demonstrates sufficient proficiency in communicating functional impact of assessment findings, treatment interventions, treatment planning diagnosis, and disease process. Considers the communication needs/level of understanding of audience and may share appropriate information/literature.
AUDIOLOGY PATIENT EDUCATION: Communicates functional impact of assessment findings, treatment interventions, diagnosis, and disease process. Adapts communication to the level of understanding of the patient. Determines comprehension and need for repetition and/or revision of methods.
QUALITY ASSURANCE: Understands the goal of increasing organizational productivity and individual performance by making the products and services within your work assignments more efficient and more effective. Demonstrates quality management practices on the job which result in superior products and services delivered.
* Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
* Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
* Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
* Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
* Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
* Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
* Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES:
* Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
* Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
* Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY:
* Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
* Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
* Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY:
* Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
* Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
* Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
* Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
* Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
* Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Internal Number: 2005537
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.