Coordinate and participate in a variety of complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Perform routine tests in clinical laboratories for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease using standard techniques and equipment; perform related duties in laboratory to include storing and labeling specimens and using manual and automatic equipment to prepare specimens and perform analytical tests.
- Prepare sterile media in plates, jars or test tubes for use in growing bacterial cultures; incubate culture for specific times at prescribed temperatures.
- Understand and comply with laboratory Quality Control and Quality Assurance policies and procedures for instrumentation and testing.
- Prepare solutions, reagents and stains, following standard laboratory formulas and procedures.
- Maintain detailed records of tests performed and report laboratory test results to appropriate personnel; recognize Quality Control shifts and trends and take appropriate action whenever necessary.
- Calibrate and perform routine maintenance on test equipment, clean and sterilize laboratory equipment, glassware and instruments, maintain laboratory supply of chemicals and glassware; perform routine maintenance on equipment.
- Collect blood specimens from patients using venipuncture, or heel or finger stick; carry out Point-of-Care Testing waived tests and urinalysis without microscope
- Utilize various hospital and laboratory information systems and software.
- Interact in a professional and courteous manner with doctors, nurses, and other personnel to provide technical guidance and address concerns.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
AA, AS or AD Degree, BS Degree.
MLT with >= 4 years of experience.
Non-Cert Medical technologist (meeting CLIA requirements).
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician by a nationally recognized board/agency (required).
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh