POSITION SUMMARY This position provides comprehensive care coordination, supporting a holistic and coordinated approach across the continuum of care. This position assists with informed decision-making; collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team to allow for timely screening, diagnosis, treatment and increased supportive care throughout the patient experience. This position provides individual assistance to patients, families and caregivers to help identify and overcome barriers which may hinder quality medical and psychosocial patient care.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Assesses the patient's plan of care and develops, implements, monitors and documents the utilization of resources and progress of the patient through their care, facilitating options and services to meet the patient's health care needs.
2. Evaluates the medical necessity and appropriateness of care, optimizing patient outcomes. Serves as a liaison for referring physicians and assists with scheduling initial tests and consultations.
3. Assists the patient/family through diagnostic services, treatment and care. Coordinates disease care using an interdisciplinary holistic approach, making appropriate referrals and consultations in coordination with physicians and providers.
4. Ensures that the patient and family understand the diagnostic processes, care strategy and recommended actions, and are provided with appropriate information in coordination with physician and health care providers. Responds to patient requests for information regarding the disease process, expected side effects and community resources.
5. Evaluates patient's functional abilities and limitations. Determines if intervention is needed. Establishes treatment goals that are functional, measurable, patient related and reflect key limiting factors. Establishes and implements a plan of care to achieve treatment goals. Collaborates with patient and family when setting goal; initiates discharge planning. Recommends additions to or modifications of referring orders.
6. Supports the patient and family during difficult decision-making periods. Assist in coordination of end of life care for patient and family and provides emotional support.
7. Supports process improvement activities for populations of patients to achieve the optimal clinical, financial, operational, and satisfaction outcomes. Participates in staff development to maintain current standards of practice and ensure the highest quality of care.
8. Establishes and promotes a collaborative relationship with physicians, payers, and other members of the health care team. Collects and communicates pertinent, timely information to payers and others to fulfill utilization and regulatory requirements.
9. This position works independently, with freedom to determine how to best accomplish functions within established procedures. This position confers with supervisor on any unusual situations. This position is facility-based with no budgetary responsibility. Internal customers include all levels of staff, including physicians. External customers include patients, families, employees of other healthcare institutions, physician offices, referring physicians, community providers and agencies, payers, provider networks, and regulatory agencies. This position requires making decisions related to patient care coordination throughout various facilities and with various specialty practices. Decision making required for treatment and standardization of care of patients. This position requires complex problem solving related to plan of care for evaluation, treatment, and discharge planning for patients.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Must possess knowledge as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor's degree in nursing or related field.
Depending on area of focus, requires a current RN licensure, PT licensure, or OT licensure in the state of practice. BLS certification required.
Requires a proficiency level typically achieved with 5 years clinical experience. Requires excellent organizational skills and clinical knowledge regarding specialty care services, as well as care coordination of services, legal and financial aspects of diagnostic services and health services in specialty area. Requires effective communication and writing skills, good time management skills and knowledge of word processing and database software applications. Requires the ability to teach both clinical and non-clinical personnel regarding care and diagnostics services. Also requires a good understanding of process improvement. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson or BUMC-P Whole Health Counseling must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Current certification in specialty area preferred. Prior Case Management experience preferred. Depending on area of focus, experience with mild traumatic brain injury treatment(s), outreach in the community, and research related to mTBI is preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.