Stem Cell Therapy Scientist - 10,000 Sign On Bonus
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Internal Number: 2205164
JOB SUMMARY: Independently performs complex, highly specialized, and time-sensitive cell manipulation procedures on irreplaceable Human Cells, Tissues, and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HCT/P's). The technologist is responsible for aseptic handling of HCT/P's during all phases of processing; performance of accurate and error-free calculations; maintenance of accurate and detailed documentation; adherence to specialized cleaning and gowning requirements; and for ensuring compliance with applicable regulations and standards, such as cGMP, cGTP, CAP, and FACT. Has the authority, responsibility and accountability for the accurate performance of laboratory test methodologies validations and competencies. This full time offers a $10,000 sign on bonus to external qualified candidates who have not worked at VUMC for at least one year.
Performs all routine and some more complex procedures and testing in a timely and accurate manner.
Perform all quality control (QC) as applicable.
Documents all quality control (QC) procedures performed and document corrective action when QC is out of range.
Performs routine maintenance on sophisticated instrumentation.
Maintains complete and accurate records, i.e., procedure and instrument worksheets and maintenance sheets.
Works with the section head/supervisor to processes proficiency testing materials.
Calibrates and standardizes sophisticated instrumentation according to sectional guidelines.
Checks and standardizes reagents.
Maintains and adequate level of supplies.
Performs all system functions necessary to achieve the timely reporting of results.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
#1 in survival rate in United States for Stem Cell Transplant Patients
One of 51 National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers, and the only one in Tennessee that conducts research and cares for adults and children with cancer.
Member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), a non-profit alliance of 27 of the world's leading cancer centers who have come together to improve care for cancer patients everywhere.
Ranked #1 Cancer Center in Tennessee and 33rd in the nation, by U.S. News & World Report.
Nearly 300 researchers and physician-scientists in eight research programs.
A comprehensive team of more than 100 physicians with the depth and breadth of experience to design a treatment plan customized to every patient.
Currently we are 7th in competitively awarded NCI grant funding with over $65 million; a total research base of over $155 million in research funding from public and private sources.
Privileged to serve more than 6,252 new cancer patients and deliver care for more than 151,000 outpatient visits each year.
At the forefront of promising new therapies, with access to over 150 clinical trials at any given time.
Nationwide leaders in cancer survivorship, with one of the only centers in the country with a comprehensive program for cancer survivors regardless of age, type of cancer or where they received their oncology treatment.
Developed www.mycancergenome.org , an award-winning online resource for genetically informed cancer information, which has received visitors from over 200 countries/territories.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
DIAGNOSTIC TESTING - (NOVICE): Demonstrates proficiency of diagnostic testing in practical applications. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering results.
DATA ANALYSIS - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate data analysis in practical data analysis applications of moderate difficulty. Navigates within established technology environments to locate, validate, extract, and format data for data analysis. Able to modify and run queries and standard reports from data tools and provide to users. Can identify data values and data sources. Is familiar with data modeling. Is able to interview business customers to elicit data requirements and understand the relationships between data items.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to maintain equipment, products, or systems in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Assures that parts inventory is sufficient.
QUALITY ASSURANCE - (NOVICE): - Has provided continuous analysis and evaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for improvement in the way tasks and activities are accomplished by questioning their value to the process and contributing creative solutions. Has participated in the process of establishing, communicating and monitoring standards for quality and excellence. Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a current business process, product or service.
MENTORING & COACHING - (NOVICE): - Constructively trains and mentors others by providing positive direction and feedback. Has provided constructive suggestions to improve a situation. Knows how to remove roadblocks to success and avoids judgments at all times. Makes a concerted effort to pass on experiences and job information that can be learned easily.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.