A Histotechnician (HT) prepares human body tissue for examination by other laboratory professionals. The person in this position performs grossing, embedding, microtomy, and all related histology tasks. This position also performs special stain and IHC procedures as directed.
- Embed all types of tissue
- Section all types of paraffin embedded tissue
- Follow set protocols and procedures for embedding and microtomy
- Keep embedding area, microtome, and workstation clean and clutter free and maintain proper QC
- Maintain fresh solutions, stains and/or re-agents
- Perform special stain and/or IHC procedures as directed
- Assist with case assembly and distribution as needed
- File blocks and slides as needed
- Properly handle and dispose of hazardous waste
- Assists in documentation and maintaining effective department QA programs and monitors.
- Exercise all laboratory safety precautions and adhere to lab procedures as stated in procedure manuals.
- Perform all job responsibilities in alignment with the industry's best security practices and regulatory guidelines to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of protected health information and other sensitive company data.
- Must be familiar with and abide by the Corporate Compliance Program and all
Corporate policies, including the Privacy and Security policies.
7:30am-4:00pm M-F - Occasional Saturday and Holiday Call Rotation.
EDUCATION & LICENSURE:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Associate's Degree in Histology or a related science field, preferred.
- Must have completed on the job histology training or documented formal histology training.
- Preferred- CERTIFICATION/LICENSE/REGISTRATION -ASCP-Histotechnician (ASCP-HT)
- Minimum one year of experience working in a histology lab, performing gross (preferred), microtomy and/or embedding is required.