Location: Sonic Reference Lab,
Internal Number: REQ-020769
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
SRL is the national reference laboratory for Sonic Healthcare USA. As part of this esoteric testing lab, our staff gain new experiences with a unique test menu within a culture of quality and innovation, where we focus on lean processes fueled by a belief in empowered continuous improvement. We pride ourselves on a work environment dedicated to mutual respect where trust and team spirit are an integral part of our daily routine.
The Molecular Technologist I is responsible for performing moderate and high complexity clinical sample testing within the Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory. Performs daily laboratory testing and analyzes, reviews, and reports test results.
Laboratory Duties (95%)
- Performs high complexity clinical assays according to written SOPs
- Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include quality control, quality assurance, and safety
- Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing.
- General laboratory operations: keeping a neat work area, attending meetings, and complying with laboratory procedures and safety practices
- Analyzes reviews, and reports test and quality control results and takes remedial action when indicated
- Enters and verifies data within the clinical LIMS system
- Maintain analytical instruments, schedules authorized routine service, and maintains instrument documentation
- Performs, enters, and maintains Quality Control assessments and data
- General laboratory housekeeping, including the regular cleaning of sinks, counters, and equipment as appropriate
- Creates and validates in-house control material and reagents
- Completes other duties as assigned by lab management
Administrative Duties (5%)
- Monitors laboratory data systems, conducts statistical metric analysis
- Performs and documents reagent Quality Control verification
- File documentation associated with daily production runs
- Provides technical feedback to the Lab Supervisor regarding workflow issues
- Make copies of relative forms used for production and validation
- Documents laboratory inventory for assigned work areas
- Perform other laboratory duties as required and assigned
- Understands and follows written procedures and verbal instructions
- Good dexterity with manual and automated pipettes
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to collect and analyze data using graphs, tables, charts, and mathematical calculations
- Basic computer knowledge including MS Excel and Word
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and work well across lab areas
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and fluctuations in workload
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and manage stress appropriately
- Ability to work alone with minimal supervision
- B.S. degree in Medical Technology or Chemical, Biological, or Physical Science AND one year of pertinent laboratory experience OR professional laboratory certification
- Certified as Medical Technologist, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Molecular Biology, or Clinical Chemistry by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) OR equivalent certification
Physical Requirements: This position requires some lifting, up to 50 lbs, but frequently and carrying objects up to 10 lbs. This position also requires some pushing, pulling, stooping, kneeling, and bending. Frequent repetitive hand and arm movement, eye-hand-foot coordination, manual dexterity, finger dexterity, balance, depth perception, hearing acuity, color vision, and near and far vision acuity are also required.
Environmental Demands: Works in temperature controlled environment with occasional exposure to biological and chemical hazards.
Hazards: Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents. Exposure to moving mechanical parts. Exposure to communicable diseases. Exposure to blood borne pathogens. Gaseous exposure risk.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
1st Shift (United States of America)
Sonic Reference Laboratory, Inc
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.