Location: Tyler, Texas
Internal Number: REQ-020543
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Position Summary: Responsible for data entry and lab assistant duties. Maintains departmental operating policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality control, quality assurance, and safety. Reviews receipt of specimens receipt from all patient service centers, in-office phlebotomists and clients. Ensures all specimens are processed, data entered and shipped in accordance with CPL guidelines and meets shipment deadlines. Takes remedial action when indicated.
Location: Tyler, Texas
Hours: 2nd Shift
Maintains the following departmental programs
- Maintains policies and procedures for specimen processing and data entry tasks
- Maintains departmental quality assurance and quality control programs, taking corrective action when indicated
- Follows and enforces all safety, infection control, and OSHA Blood borne Pathogen guidelines
Utilizes technical skills and abilities to process and data enter lab requests
- Follow lab procedures for specimen processing
- Correctly identifies proper tubes, containers, transport media and storage temperatures for each test type
- Determines specimen acceptability, consulting with supervisor, technologist, or pathologist as needed taking appropriate action when necessary
- Follows all departmental policies and procedures related to data entry
- Accurately enters all required information presented on CPL or client specific requisitions into the laboratory information system
- Understands and recognizes laboratory information system alerts and flags and takes the appropriate action
- Recognizes when information presented on requisitions is unclear and ambiguous and knows and follows corrective actions to be taken
- Utilizes resources to answer inquiries for basic customer related issues and recognizes personal limitations, seeks guidance when needed
Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote successful relationships with management, supervisors, subordinates, co-workers and clients
- Communicates with staff to ensure highest level quality of work for each specimen received
- Strives to maintain a positive and harmonious work environment
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with clients and all other employees
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to clients and patients
- Follows all company policies and procedures
Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame
Scope: Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to the laboratory. Adheres to and enforces prescribed laboratory safety policies and regulations. Works independently with minimal direction. Functions as a liaison between the laboratory and the laboratory customers. Has the ability to work as a team member in a production work environment. Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not limited to: telephones, computer keyboards and CRT, centrifuges, and scanning equipment. Effectively communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
Education and Experience:
Minimum- High School Diploma or GED
Prefer two years of laboratory training or experience in specimen collection and processing. Data entry experience in a production environment
Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical reports. Ability to write accurate and concise clinical documents, memos, and required correspondence. Ability to collect and analyze data using statistical methods. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and with laboratory customers. Typing skills; proficiency with 10 key.
Physical Requirements: Requires light to medium lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires manipulation of tools, objects, and equipment using the following physical motions: pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above shoulder height, grasping with both hands, pinching with thumb and forefinger, twisting with hand and wrist, climbing under, lifting up, lifting down, and reaching under. Routinely requires coordination of two or more physical operations. Routinely requires visual discrimination of color, size, shape, and motility. Requires the ability to hear audible alarms on temperature monitored equipment and automated analyzers.
Environmental Demands: Works in temperature controlled environment with constant exposure to biological and chemical hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation. May be required to work with time constraints and in crisis situations.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
2nd Shift (United States of America)
Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.