Location: Port Jervis, New York
The Respiratory Therapist provides age-appropriate respiratory care, operates and maintains respiratory therapy equipment, performs diagnostic procedures, and administers treatments to patients in accordance with established clinical procedures, safety precautions, infection control practices and regulatory requirements. In addition, this position may provide training on respiratory techniques to hospital staff and students.
- Administers age appropriate respiratory care in accordance with established procedures, safety precautions, and regulatory requirements including, but not limited to age appropriate needs as follows: o Neonates - oxygen hood o Infants - croup tents aerosol RX o Adult - all services o Geriatrics - special attention to fragility of bones and hearing deficits
- Conducts routine equipment rounds to ensure proper working order and operation of specialized equipment.
- Replaces, cleans and stores department equipment as needed.
- Responds to emergency codes, Rapid Response and pages for cardiopulmonary assistance.
- Performs diagnostic procedures according to standard orders and physician's requests.
- Annotates patient medical records, and completes required department paperwork in accordance with established procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Reviews and monitors therapy and treatment administered to patients to ensure adherence to physician's instructions. * Consults with physicians, nurses and other hospital staff on respiratory cases requiring therapy.
- Maintains an adequate supply of oxygen and other gases.
- Participates in the instruction of students, nurses, and other hospital staff in therapeutic techniques.
- Attends in- service and continuing education programs.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
Prior experience as a Registered Respiratory Therapist in a hospital setting preferred. Education: Completion of an accredited two year Respiratory Therapy Program.
A New York State Registered Respiratory Therapist License issued by New York State Department of Education required; current BLS certification required.
The individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials.
Bon Secours Community Hospital
For nearly a century, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY, has served the residents of western Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA, and northern Sussex County, NJ, as the area's premier healthcare provider. The hospital serves its community with 122 beds for acute care and medical-surgical services, a 24-hour emergency department, long-term care and rehabilitation, a dedicated bariatric surgery unit, behavioral health, and outpatient services.