Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Vanderbilt Health - Executive Search Team is conducting a national search for the Director, Lab Program Management Office position. This position provides program management and oversight for the Vanderbilt Medical Laboratories (VML). Key responsibilities of this role include: Leading enterprise-wide lab program initiatives, inclusive of managing multiple, multi-divisional sub-project team from across the organization; planning, executing, and evaluating projects according to predetermined timelines and budgets; Building and managing project teams; Reporting statuses to project sponsors and VUMC executive leaders, as needed; Ensuring quality control throughout project lifecycles are central to this position; and, Assisting Lab Senior Leaders with developing a Program Management Office to support the strategic growth of the diagnostic labs.
This position reports to SVP, Diagnostic Laboratories, leverages the project management foundational processes and methodologies established by VUMC's Enterprise Program Management Office (EPMO), and works closely with Senior Lab Leadership to advance the mission of VML.
Vanderbilt Pathology Laboratory Services (VPLS) was established in 1987 to provide the practicing physician access to advanced technical capabilities and medical expertise of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Laboratories. VPLS provides access to an extensive menu of anatomic and clinical referral services available from the laboratories of Vanderbilt Medical Center to over 1,000 healthcare providers in 48 states and 12 countries. VPLS clients are provided with timely, high quality testing services by our CAP accredited laboratory as well as valuable professional consultation services by our pathologists. In addition, VPLS provides clients with a complete test catalog, requisitions, special collection tubes and containers, specimen transport and rapid result reporting by mail, telephone and FAX.
Project Management and Leadership
- Takes a leading role in the development of the VML Program Management Office
- Leverages EPMO and other resources to define Program Management processes
- Works closely with Lab Senior Leaders to develop SOPs and process maps to support the PMO and its current and future state strategic initiatives
- Management of strategic VML programs and projects
- Leads, supports, and coordinates the activities of a team of VML Project Managers
- Utilize standards and processes of the Enterprise Program Management Office to coordinate and monitor projects and ongoing quality/process improvements
- Applies advanced project management and leadership skills and experience in delivering large scale, strategic projects on time, within budget and with high customer satisfaction
- Ability to manage complex projects with ambitious milestones
- Ability to challenge and elevate issues for resolution
- Highly motivated with the ability to respond quickly and effectively to a changing environment, and adept at influencing others without direct authority, providing leadership to groups and teams
- Develop project plans, goals and objectives in collaboration with Project and Lab Leadership (milestones and timelines, resource planning, committee charters)
- Provides professional and/or technical leadership in the execution of day-to-day project activities (set priorities given resource constraints, facilitate meetings, monitor progress against established timeline, ensure documentation is complete and up-to-date)
- Manage expectations and coordinate work of internal and external resources that support the project; identify and engage appropriate stakeholders
- Develop draft budgets, resource allocations, and other plans to support these projects
- Work collaboratively to create metrics and standards/dashboards for the operational team to measure effectiveness and improvements with various projects
- Manages execution of project plans and tracks progress of activities
- Identifies gaps, potential bottlenecks or delays, and challenges assumptions in areas of risk management and mitigation
- Oversees risk management including critical path, risk assessment, scenario creation and analysis
- Proposes options to close gaps and get projects back on schedule
- Serves as lead Project Manager for project data, and as needed to support the team
- Communicate within and across stakeholders to maximize information sharing around progress, project reports, needs, inter-dependencies and accomplishments
- Guides and manages preparation for project milestone reviews
- Defines, measures and reports key performance indicators for assigned projects, enabling teams and functions to measure and improve quality, efficiency and effectiveness
- Manages meetings to include setting agendas, organizing meeting time and meeting minutes
- Communication and Change Management
- Manage the dissemination of news and information about the project to all stakeholders
- Anticipate and communicate the impact of change to the rest of the organization, as needed
- Manages vendor contracts to signature, as needed
- Provides input and management assistance with policies and SOPs related to projects and programs, as applicable
- Serve as lead point person for questions and issues
- Develop communications including presentations to support project reporting
- Develop and present executive level reports for other program leaders as necessary
- Develop collaborative working relationships at all levels
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, administration, or related field
- Minimum 5 years Project Management leadership experience
- Academic Medical Center and multi-faceted, multi-specialty clinical laboratory experience
- Highly motivated, self-directed with a propensity towards action and results
- Excellent communication, presentation, influencing, and facilitative skills and the ability to work collaboratively across all levels of leadership and team members
- Experience leading cross-functional teams and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent planning, organizational skills, problem solving and analytical skills
- Familiarity with project management tools and software packages
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and Visio
Our professional administrative functions include critical supporting roles in information technology and informatics, finance, administration, legal and community affairs, human resources, communications and marketing, development, facilities, and many more.
At our growing health system, we support each other and encourage excellence among all who are part of our workforce. High-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt Health for professional growth, appreciation of benefits, and a sense of community and purpose.
* Organizational Impact: Implements strategies for a sub function with direct impact to the function results.* Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Resolves highly complex business issues that are often unprecedented that have immediate impact on own sub-function or entity and wider implications to the organization. * Breadth of Knowledge: Applies expertise within professional/technical area and uses advanced business knowledge to develop objectives.* Team Interaction: Leads a sub-function serving the organization at large or across one or more entity(s).
Core Capabilities :
Supporting Colleagues: - Develops Self and Others: Acts upon constructive feedback from all levels of the organization and initiates strategies to develop talent in others. - Builds and Maintains Relationships: Leverages relationships and insight to forecast potential future needs and influence delivery of work to exceed expectations. - Communicates Effectively: Anticipates difference audience concerns, styles and finds mutually beneficial solutions across conflicting and sensitive issues. Delivering Excellent Services: - Serves Others with Compassion: Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of broad-based issues and considers the interests of others to improve satisfaction of services. - Solves Complex Problems: Critically evaluates complex information and identifies trends/risks to make recommendations to improve processes across areas. - Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing feedback and development discussions to motivate and support team members to maximize performance. Ensuring High Quality: - Performs Excellent Work: Anticipates problems or obstacles which may interfere with quality standards and develops plants to ensure area's quality standards are met. - Ensures Continuous Improvement: Routinely draws upon valuable learning from others, past experiences, and new information to determine key opportunities. - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Develops appropriate corrective actions for unsafe environments in order to ensure operational and safety compliance. Managing Resources Effectively: - Demonstrates Accountability: Identifies potential obstacles to goal achievement and develops solutions to address those obstacles. - Stewards Organizational Resources: Creates the appropriate systems and processes to effectively manage resources. - Makes Data Driven Decisions: Applies in-depth knowledge of data to recommend and implement new approaches to improve decision making capabilities. Fostering Innovation: - Generates New Ideas: Identifies opportunities and leads development of new initiatives that create value across areas. - Applies Technology: Creates the energy and drive for self/others to identify and leverage technology in new, innovative ways to drive greater efficiencies. - Adapts to Change: Anticipates the change process and clearly communicates impact on others/own team(s), assisting them in embracing the change.
Relevant Work Experience
For a copy of the physical requirements of this position to determine if you can perform the duties with or without an accommodation or to request an accommodation, please contact VUMC Employee Relations at 615-343-4759 or email@example.com.