Location: Poughkeepsie, New York
Responsible for the daily clerical operation of the Pathology Department. Performs medial transcription in the specialty of anatomic pathology and provides clerical and support duties for pathology staff, laboratory Administrative and Medical Directors and Section Supervisors.Job
- Oversees the clerical operation of Pathology; assessing throughout the day the status of tasks, working with tissue exam requests to ensure daily completion of reports and seamless workflow.
- Independently identifies and implements process changes in efforts to increase productivity and/or decrease costs
- Transcribes accurately all dictated information within established formats for anatomic pathology reports.
- Assures complete and accurate patient demographic information is included in all reports.
- Follows up to capture any missing data or documentation necessary for accurate processing.
- Communicates reports to physicians' offices by telephone and facsimile as physician requires.
- Scans reports into the Electronic Medical Record from all reference lab sources.
- Performs accessioning and label entry in the LIS Assists Histology in the accessioning and processing of specimens.
- Prepares and compiles forms and materials for send out to reference labs and consulting physicians, including explanted hardware sent to medical holding facilities pending legal action.
- Completes handwritten log and/or computer send-out log.
- Demonstrates and maintains competency in all applicable areas.
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge of medical terminology, generating minimal errors.
- Demonstrates competency in utilizing printers, facsimile machine, copy machine, etc.
- Recognizes equipment malfunction and is able to troubleshoot and to either handle minor repair problems or contact services, as appropriate.
- Orders office and related supplies through automated system as per hospital protocol
- Ensures minimum downtime of equipment and ensures availability of resources and supplies.
- Types/compiles correspondence, reports, procedures, etc. in timeframe as requested by initiator.
- Performs and coordinates all payroll activities for all laboratory departments.
- Demonstrates effective utilization of computer systems necessary for patient care functions.
- Performs other duties as directed by Coordinator, Supervisor, Administrative and/or Medical Director.
- Assists supervisor and/or director by performing special projects and/or ongoing advanced responsibilities.
EXPERIENCE1-2 years experience in medical transcription and medical terminology.EDUCATIONHigh school graduate or equivalent. Medical transcription experience acquired in high school, post-high school or informal setting; (e.g., on-the-job training).LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONSN/A
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley's most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area's only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.